Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tonal Tuesdays - The Words

Why do you like your favourite song?  I will predict it is because the words create story for you.  The words are  so very important.

the Embro Thistle Singers spend time with each new song figuring out how the music fits with the words and thus how we will get the meaning across.  Accent, pronunciation, phrasing, dynamics all contribute to getting the audience to hear the words and be able to connect to the meaning of the poetry that is the song.

But, and there is always a but isn't there, sometimes the words are just for fun.  We are looking at doing a medley of songs that contains Supercalifragilisticexpialiocious, Mairzy Doats, and Bibiddy Bobiddy Boo.  I remember as a child, my mum would sing Mairzy Doats and I just loved the feel of those fun words on my tongue.  Check out a young Janet Lennon from the Lawrence Welk  Show singing.
So yes indeed the words are important.  Now you know what that funny title, Mairzy Doats really means. 

You remember when you were a kid or were around other kids, if they didn't know the words they made it up.  I have done that innumerable times as I have sung the words I THOUGHT the song said.  Last year, we did Purple People Eater for the Embro Fair.  I had sung "One eyed, one horned FIVE Purple People Eater"  since forever.  Well imagine my surprise when we got the words and it was a "flyin' Purple People Eater".  Tell us what words mean to you and perhaps what a favourite song might be. 

2 comments:

Colleen said...

It's like when I thought the words from Eye of the Tiger were "standing up to the challenge of arrival" and I kept thinking, "What's so hard about showing up?" It wasn't until I was an adult that I realised the words were "the challenge of a rival". Duh.

Embro Thistle Singers said...

Oh that is so funny. Your Aunt Marg used to say "Our Father who are in heaven, "Hallowe'en" thy name." Man what we hear is so much more interesting than what is really there sometimes. Thanks for the giggle.