Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tonal Tuesday - To Move or Not to Move While You Sing

I know that sometimes it feels like you really want to "get into" a piece of music and nod or bop or sway.  Personally, as many times as I see it happen, I have never really enjoyed it.  I know some choirs always "jive" or move to the music.  My choirs do not.  If I want to move to the music then we would do a staged musical.

The coro calicantus sings Imagine by John Lennon and they face the back and face the front.  I think I understand what the idea is behind this movement however, I wouldn't want to read too much into it or I am in danger of becoming my high school English teacher reading into the literature that which the writer never intended.  What do you think?




This next choir sings the same song but does not move.  I enjoy the harmony and the words and am not busy trying to figure out why they are moving.  For me, I am much more focused on the sound and of course the director.  Do you find one more enjoyable than the other and has movement or lack thereof anything to do with that choice?






No comments: